Friday, September 11, 2009

What if the Russians don't come?

We have a songbook at home called "Rise Up Singing." It contains a lot of folk songs, oldies, etc. that are good for sing-alongs.

I often laugh when I come across this song:



What if the Russians Don't Come?


My town has a plan for its civil defense
So we'll all take Route 70 when it gets tense
My wife sewed directions in my underclothes
So I'll know where to run when the big whistle blows
We held a rehearsal last Saturday night
And all things considered our town did all right
Except on the ramp when that truck tried to pass
And it took us three hours to clean up the glass.. +/-
But-
What if the Russians don't come?
What if they like where they're from?
What if they're not in the mood to invade?
What if they're tired, or drunk, or afraid?
What would we do if their generals just said, "This is dumb"
What if the Russians don't come?

I've heard about Russians since I was a tyke
So here's what I know about what they are like
They don't believe in God, they don't have no fun
They're brainwashed, they're dull, and they all weigh a ton
And in the Olympics whenever we meet
Their women are men, and their judges all cheat
Maybe you shouldn't rely just on me
I've not seen a Russian except on TV

What if the Russians have lives?
What if their husbands have wives?
If they come home late from work on the bus
And have to fix dinner for children that fuss
They may be too tired to come put us under their thumb...
What if the Russians don't come?

Our leaders said we're behind in the race
We needed those missile just to keep pace
If we don't stay up there lap after lap
The Russians will tumble us right off the map
Well, I'm getting dumb but sometimes I forget
What I've got against all these folks I ain't met
I can't figure out why they want World War III
Could it be they are wondering the same about me?

What if the Russians are scared?
What if they're all unprepared?
What if poor Ivan's as worried as I am?
Tired of worrying about Uncle Sam?
Why don't we stop before one of us does something dumb?...

What if the Russians don't come?
--Phil Hoose (1983)*

It's funny to read these words considering I was one year old at the time the song was written and grew up oblivious to the Russians being our "enemies." It wasn't until I already had Russian friends that I began to learn my history better in school. So everything was the opposite for me.

It feels a bit odd posting about war (or lack thereof) on 9/11, but on the other hand, maybe it fits.

"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints." -Ephesians 6:12-18

*Lyrics disclaimer: Different versions didn't match up, so please offer corrections if necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Потрясающая песня! У нас, надо сказать, в 83 году про американцев никто бы не написал.
    Этой песне нужно было бы в обязательном порядке обучать всех миссионеров, желающих поехать в Россию :))

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...