Saturday, September 12, 2009

Waiting for the mailman

The vigil is over.

I waited by the door for 4 days. I hadn't realized how often a mail truck of one kind or another comes down our street!

On Tuesday, I didn't get my invitation. But I still needed my HIV results, so I could wait one more day.

On Wednesday, I waited all day, and still didn't have either by evening, until the doorbell rang. It was the doctor from church with my lab results. No invitation that day. But another discovery I made was that many Russian Consulates no longer accept individual mailed-in applications. You must use an agency. So I called the agency to inquire and quickly went about gathering the additional 3-4 documents that they specifically require. +/-

On Thursday, I woke up to the sound of a mail truck. I have learned to recognize the sound! I ran to the window and saw a white truck with the "Fed-Ex" emblem pulling away from our house. After throwing on my bathrobe, I ran downstairs to check the mail basket, but there was nothing there. They must have been visiting the neighbors.

Thursday came and went.

On Friday, I camped out by the front door again. If the delivery service required a signature, I didn't want to take the chance of missing them and having my invitation brought back to some warehouse until I could track it down!

The university had not told me which express mail service they used, nor was there any sort of tracking information, nor were they returning my e-mails.

It felt a bit ironic that 4-5 days was seeming slow to me. But each day I was recalculating the possibilities of getting my visa on time, and those chances were dwindling, especially as the weekend approached.

I was sitting on the couch with my laptop, when I heard yet another truck. I looked outside, and it was not the white Fed-Ex; it was DHL. It had to be for me! I went out on the porch as the delivery man approached. It is true what they show in the commercials about kissing the delivery man. I didn't do it, but I wanted to!

It did require a signature, so I was glad I was home.

Now my visa application is in the mail. Praise the Lord! I wish I could get it before my sister's wedding in a week , but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Still here

Wintry postcard from St. Petersburg during some recent colder temperatures... I don't even remember how to edit on here! I hope to updat...