Monday, September 14, 2009

At the bookstore

I went to a local bookstore recently to redeem some old gift certificates that I had found while cleaning my room. I felt a little guilty that I wasn't going to be spending much money, but I think I've done my part lately to support the economy. ;)

The gift certificates I'm talking about are not the modern plastic card with the bar code, which you can use to buy things online. This was a calligraphed form on regular cardstock.

As I handed over the gift certificates, the clerk looked closely at one of them and asked,"Have you had this awhile?"

"Yeah," I said. "You don't make them like that anymore?"

"It's just that it's the handwriting of the original founder, who died in 2001." He nudged the other clerk who had also worked there for several years.

"Wow, look at that, " she murmured, shaking her head. They both paused in remembrance of their friend who had passed.

I got a few cents in change back, so I hadn't given them much business. But it was a noteworthy visit, nonetheless.

6 comments:

  1. So what books did you get???? What a memory for those clerks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a book of American short stories to use for advanced students of English. It will double as my airplane entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bookstore, an excellent place to be.. especially with a gift certificate :)

    I found your blog through the boundlessline feature. As a person of slavic background (Serbian--we share the slavic alphabet among other things with the Russians) I find it great to hear that Christians are working over there. All the best as you wait to return to the 'rodina'!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mark! Unfortunately, a bookstore is a dangerous place to be for someone who is about to get on an airplane with a baggage limitation of two 50-pound suitcases. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookstores are a great place to be.

    I'm very familiar with the two 50 pounder routine. I attended a University in Japan and had to lug my books and belongings back and forth several times. Good luck with that! Hopefully you don't have to travel long distances on subways with your luggage.

    Have you found a good English bookstore in St. Petersburg? I recall what a blessing it was when I found one after several months in Tokyo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might have to take the subway, but hopefully I will have a few helpers!

    Most bookstores in St. Petersburg have an English section where you can find a lot of the classics. I like to read certain Christian authors, and those are hard to find even in American mainstream bookstores. I usually have to order them online while I'm home.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...