Monday, April 7, 2008

Editing

My check-list for trying to cut a text by 2/3:

1) Delete most occurrences of “I think.” It sounds weak and it’s obvious anyway that the text is from my point of view.

2) Delete modifiers used to make generalizations such as “sometimes,” “possibly,” etc.

3) In sentences with multiple possibilities, be decisive and delete all except one! This is a big one for me…

4) Delete flowery descriptions….sigh.

5) Delete detailed descriptions…sigh, that hurts.

6) Replace phrasal verbs with single words. A lot of phrasal verbs like “find out’ and “pick up” sound uneducated. The verb “to be” helps!

7) Delete unnecessary “such as” clauses. In a 500-word essay there is simply no space to give an example for every single idea.

8) Use demonstrative pronouns instead of repeating long key phrases.

9) Rejoice that I have a blog where I can use as many words as I want!

3 comments:

  1. These are great editing ideas! Keep us posted for how many you get down to. What is this essay for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about "success in learning." It's for a TOEFL certification program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! For me, writing to a word limit is far harder than meeting a "must be so-many words". I found it to be really helpful, though. BTW - you are a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...