Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Panic and progress

It took me a fair amount of time to put together my Russian visa application. I had done it several times before, but I was using a new company that had some additional requirements.

I don't know anyone who LOVES doing paperwork, but I know some who are good at it or don't stress too much.

I hate filling out applications because I get stuck on certain questions which seem ambiguous and/or grammatically flawed. I also panic if the line is not long enough to fit very important information. And I can't get past it. I cry over about 90% of applications because I don't understand the questions and feel like an idiot.

For example, I was required to fill in (out?) an itinerary for the travel company (even though I don't have a plane ticket yet because I was waiting for them to give me a time estimate, which they wouldn't give me until they had received my documents and reviewed them).

The itinerary form said something like: Enter _______ on _________
by __________________.

Now, of course, it makes perfect sense. On the first line you put a destination, on the second a date, and on the third a form of transportation. But when I first looked at it and thought of all the words that could follow "on," I panicked (in my defense, it would be helpful if the statement was a complete sentence, like "The applicant plans to enter __________ on ______ by______.")

This is all a way of saying that my invitation and visa are already being processed! And that, my friends, is progress. The next step is a plane ticket.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent!! I do know what you mean about forms, too.... As a person who sometimes WRITES forms, I REALLY WORK HARD to leave enough space for what I want to have written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russia is on the verge of collapsing yet again (economically). Keep yourself safe.

    Надеюсь на Господа, надеется душа моя; на слово Его уповаю. -Пс. 129:5

    Nothing can be more relevant.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...