Thursday, July 15, 2010

The bats of summer

Last summer, the attic was being sealed off to get rid of our bat "tenants."

With the bats "gone" and the light-bulb replaced, my dad was now willing to go in and retrieve my millions of boxes so that I could sort them (he did find a carcass, probably the last one).

So I've been consolidating my memorabilia and defending my position as the family pack-rat archivist.

Soooo many amusing and interesting items...like these 5000-ruble notes from 1993, when the ruble had depreciated. This might have been from our first trip to St. Petersburg in 1996. I remember thinking I had so much money, when in fact it was only worth a few dollars. continue/-







Then there are my first compositions, like the "chapter book" I started when I was 8. I'm sure I was doing a lot of reading and reusing some of the story-lines. But it is still cute to read.




I found a few chronicles of family trips, complete with weather reports and tales of sibling/cousin interaction...



...journals of teenage angst (sort of)...







....prom corsage, anyone?




Oh, and spiritual development was happening then, too.




3 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing to see the genesis of what we've become? One thing about you apparently - you've always been a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. V..................July 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM

    This is really heart-warming. I have enjoyed reading it.

    Your parents are the best for keeping all the note books and what not all this time (despite the bat infestation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...