Monday, February 5, 2007

English class

This is Misha, one of my beginner students of English. He’s 9. He’s still quite mild-mannered compared to the older boys, but I’ve seen him throw a punch or two. It’s hard to tell where to draw the line between typical boy behavior and the effects of living in an institution. Anyway, I like this picture of Misha because it’s what he looks like when he’s goofing off.

Today we practiced our letters and sang “Head and Shoulders, Knees, and Toes.” Then I noticed that the kids weren’t matching the hand motions to the words at all, so we had to stop and do a little review. Then again, one of my college professors (Thanks, Bella!) tried to teach it to us in Russian one time, and we were probably just as clueless. :)

The older boys had fun today with prepositions of location. I need to remember to bring a treat for them next time. They’re a little old for stickers. Their counselor who works on Mondays is warming up a little. She sneaks into the lessons sometimes to try to learn a little English. And she lets us go past five even though it’s officially homework time.

Today I read: “I know that the Lord secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy.” -Ps. 140:12

2 comments:

  1. Hi, ELizabeth....I decided to try to go back to the beginning of your blog to learn more about you. I hope you don't mind...that it doesn't seem like stalking or something. But I am curious how you ended up in Russia. Where are you teaching? I would love to move to Russia, not forever, probably, but for a year or two. Do you think there are any jobs teaching English that would pay enough for our family to live?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie, maybe I should do a post on how I ended up in Russia. It is kind of a long story.

    I don't know too many big families here living off a teacher's salary! But there are some private firms always looking for native speakers.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...