Sunday, February 27, 2022

A Sad Week (in this part of the world)

I will continue my Armenia series very soon, but I needed to post something about world events, to hold space during this time and to look back on in the future.

I go back and forth between being heartbroken for Ukrainians and then for Russians. Amid the pain caused by the reality of war and violence, there is the deep ache of a seeing a generation of progress threatened and hopes for the future dashed. 

Here is my post about our visit to Kyiv (preferred Ukrainian spelling), in 2013-just one year before conflict broke out. This is the one with photos. Having been there made it even more surreal picturing what was happening. Being in Ukraine back then did have more of a European feel, but it ended up going off in a different direction.

We have visited Odessa as well, though I don't think I posted about it at the time. Andrei visited the Black Sea as a child. I think it's hard for us Americans to get our heads around what it was like to live in the Soviet Union as well as live through the changes that came afterward. What do the borders feel like? Who is a foreigner? Does it feel at all like traveling through different regions of the U.S.?

Both countries in this conflict (as well as some of the neighboring countries involved) have endured so much suffering through the years at different times, but I was personally called to serve in Russia. Even though I've studied Ukrainian history as well, it's Russia that has been on my heart since 1996. And the local needs as this tragedy unfolds will be different. I can tell you that Russian people are broken right now. Our hands here are tied just the same as everyone's across the ocean. I remember discussing with ministry partners how Russia gets hit by turmoil again and again and again, and you can go through so many of the Psalms, praying them with Russia in mind. 

We are nowhere near the border with Ukraine. We live in St. Petersburg, the Hero City of Leningrad, which once endured a 900-day siege (Kiev and other cities in Ukraine actually got the Hero City title later as well). I know so many brave and resilient people, which is needed in a land whose citizens often experience oppression. We anticipate hard times once more, but the needs aren't as tangible and obvious as donating to refugees (which is so needed right now for Ukrainians). There will likely be financial hardships, though, as the world imposes sanctions on Russia. For now, we look forward to coming out of Covid quarantine in order to reconnect with our local friends and support each other emotionally and spiritually. 

4 comments:

  1. I’ve been thinking alot about you this week, Elizabeth, wondering what the atmosphere is over there. Praying for you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering too.....what do people there really think? I don't think people here understand (no more do I, really) but I do know that even in my family there has been such confusion about the Ukrainian vs Russian identity. Sergei's parents were Ukrainian and were living in a part of Russia that had been Ukraine at some point. His sister lives in Russia; his brother in Ukraine. They speak the same language. From photos it looks like they could both live in the same village. It's all confusing. I just know it is embarrassing for the kids and even for myself. I feel oddly responsible for anything Russia does because I love the country. As my friends who adopted from Ukraine proudly flash the flags on their profile pictures, I cower in shame, knowing I don't dare put up any Russian bunting. I even avoided my usual Woman's Day greeting. I read the other day about some poor Russian woman in the midwest who killed her son and thrust a knife into her own heart. She didn't die, but explained that she felt so hated and reviled and couldn't bear for her child to feel that way. How terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mix here, but awkward seeing people in the U.S. react, also. I think all the support is good, but it doesn't make the problem go away. Changing your profile image is a no-risk thing to do. Speaking out here is different. And seeing all the flags up and parade preparations this time of year... hard to describe how it feels.

      Delete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...