Friday, April 6, 2007

Identity crisis

Today I was once again complimented on the way I speak my native language.

Russian lady who knows English: "I like the way you speak Russian ...and English."
Me: "Ummm ...thanks?"
Russian lady: "Yes, your English is very interesting to listen to. When I first listened to you speak, I did not know that you were American. I thought that you were from Great Britain."
Me: "Ummm ...okay."

Wait a minute ...what is she saying about the way Americans speak English??? Is that supposed to be a compliment that I sounded more British than American?

Where am I from, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...