Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reader's Block

You've heard of "Writer's block." But what happens when you just can't bring yourself to sit down and read something? I was disappointed when I found that the term "Reader's block" has already been coined, but maybe I will help to popularize it. :)

After doing a lot of reading this summer, I seem to have burned out. I normally jump at the chance to read, but lately, nothing I pick up is interesting. I'm hoping the condition is temporary.

Maybe my intellect has been dulled by the Internet. But I think the situation is actually the opposite. I think I am looking for something top-quality to read. It's like when you're so hungry that you don't know what to eat (I'm not sure if it comes before or after the phase when you eat everything in sight). You reject one thing after another. When choosing a recipe, you think....no, that takes too long....no, we just had that one last week...no, not in the mood for that.....

Nothing fits the criteria.

I realized that what I was truly craving was the Bible. At least, my soul was craving it, and my flesh was still thinking about it. Maybe God dulled my pleasure from other books so that I would get back to the Word.

There is, after all, such a thing as too much studying (Proverbs 12:12).

2 comments:

  1. Hah, I can see it, teachers everywhere fighting the student epidemic of....Reader's block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, I should add a disclaimer.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...