Friday, March 20, 2015

Lull


Wednesday

It's 11:45 pm and I've just put a load of laundry in, but I'm not complaining. :)

Baby shower shenanigans (I'm in the middle) 
I've just had 4 days of back-to-back church activities followed by 2 days holed up at home (and actually another church thing this evening). I think ideally it would be nice to be a bit more balanced. The days I was at home just happened to be very warm and sunny, perfect for being outside, but I couldn't handle getting the two of us dressed for outside.

A tamer schedule might mean more short walks on a regular basis, or more drop-by cups of tea. But that's not realistic for city life. It seems that it's all or nothing! Everything feels like a production, and that's why I want to hibernate after a day or two of social functions. And to catch up on housework, and spend quality time with David after being so busy.

I remember when I first lived here and initially found it odd that people would stop by the grocery store almost every day after work to get an item or two. I remember not wanting to heed my roommate's request to stop by the store after church for a few tomatoes. It seemed so inefficient to make all those short stops. But now I feel the opposite...why go out to the store specially, when one can combine it with another errand? Why break your back with loads of groceries when you can do small batches?

It is just such a different pace. And I will leave it at that, as I'm having a hard time finding the right words.


Thursday

Today was sunny again and I woke up and cried because I felt like we needed to get outside to the Vitamin D right away, but at the same time I wanted to stay inside. I don't know if this is my personality or a season or just the particulars of the situation. Perhaps if I could just open the door and step out in my pajamas for a sun bath, I'd feel differently. We do have both an enclosed porch/ storage area and an open balcony, and lots of windows and sunlight with views of open spaces, so we're quite blessed in that sense.

Anyway, we eventually got outside. David did laps around an athletic field while I went over some thoughts. I suppose the athletic field is nice because it is enclosed and David can't just run off. Plus there is some exercise equipment like a balance beam, and plenty of gravel for one's rock collecting. However, this kind of walk is just short of relaxing for me. I do think the "fresh" air and sun are good for one's health, and we live in a nice residential area, but let's face it....the city will never be a nature preserve! Nevertheless, I am learning to find my own pockets of tranquility, and to see daily walks as their own brand of productivity. I like the walks themselves, but sometimes it is hard to separate the benefits from the struggles of dressing a reluctant child, keeping said child safe, and convincing him to go home instead of lying in the dirt! It is a learning process.

BEEP! The washer cycle from today's set of muddy clothes is complete. :)


2 comments:

  1. I love the photo. American girl in comfortable shoes between two Russian girls. When I was in Russia the last time I was determined to "pass" and my two main strategies were a) heels b) hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just had to notice that! :) It was an indoor thing and I brought slippers. And ended up posing between the only two girls in heels. I was going more for color scheme....see how there's grey in my shirt? :) I am phasing out my heels, unfortunately. But sensible shoes have their place in Russian fashion, too.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...