Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Greatest; Personified

Sometimes I dislike 1 Corinthians 13 for the same reason I dislike Proverbs 31: it puts forth a standard that I feel I can never live up to.

Do I resent Jesus for His example? No. But somewhere in my sinful nature I lose the connection to Christ. "Love" in her perfection becomes that holier person who receives more compliments than you; like the Teacher's Pet or the Other Girl who catches the eye of the guy you like. "Wisdom" plays the same role. And just like I fall short of domestic perfection, my shortcomings in love glare up at me from the text. Patience? Failure. Kindness? Failure. Jealousy? Failure. Everyone talks about how great these virtues are, but in life, they are accompanied by trials.

I seem to forget that the embodiment of God's love in my life is Christ, not a report card. And that while loving God and others is a command, it's also a fruit of the Spirit. That means, it's not something I can produce myself. It's the fruit of a relationship with Christ.

Something else I have to remind myself is that God is not trying to trick me. He is not trying to find my weak spot and stick a needle in. He tests us; He disciplines; but it is only for our own good, that we may learn. If I have trouble loving someone, I can call on the Holy Spirit anytime. Any opportunity to love is a gift from God, not a burden.

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. -1 John 4:10/NIV

3 comments:

  1. Согласен с твоими выводами. Я за последнее время понял три вещи:
    1. Любовь - это единственное, что от нас требуется.
    2. Любовь - это то, на что мы абсолютно неспособны.
    3. Бог - единственный, Кто может нам помочь пребывать в любви.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Да, это так.Зачем столько парадоксов? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Думаю, любовь сама по себе парадокс. :)

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...