Thursday, November 13, 2008

An early end

I found out earlier this week that the classes I've been teaching are over at the end of 2008. That leaves me less than two weeks before my visa trip, and then a few more weeks in December.

Then I got another message yesterday from our secretary with a list of requests. Keep in mind, today is Thursday:

"[Company where I teach] emailed me yesterday and they said that our planned hours with them run out this week.

They are asking you to please prepare an evaluation test for their students, which should include writing and speaking.

They want their test this Friday (November 14).

I emailed them back and said that it's more likely that the test will be ready only for Monday (November 17) due to this short notice on their part."

So my classes are, in effect, over already. I'm fairly surprised as they hadn't said anything to me about it and I still had several topics planned. And I hadn't talked to my students about it at all. So it seems a little sudden.

At least I won't have to find anyone to cover for me when I'm out of the country.

6 comments:

  1. Лиза, у нас в Педагогическом университете и не такое случается :)

    Я прочитал студентам весь курс, поскольку мне сказали, что он у них длится два семестра. Я спешил, но все же уложился.
    Потом оказалось, что курс рассчитан на три семестра и занятия продолжатся. Преподаватель, который меня сменил не знает что делать, ведь я уже обо всем рассказал :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's terrible! I'm so sorry....

    How did you decide to come all the way back to the US rather than just a short trip out of Russia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, "short trips" don't exist anymore. It takes at least a week because they have to mail your documents back to your home country for verification. I had a return ticket to the U.S. and I could have saved it for later, but I would rather use it now since I'm not sure how long the visa procedure will take. I'd rather be stuck at home than somewhere in Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true that short trips don't really exist, unless you pay a lot of extra money and I don't think you can expedite your visa at this point.

    Sometimes, It is cheaper than going home--depending where home is. This visa stuff is sure expensive. Ours would be a lot more if we went home(b/c of our family being 6 people), plus for me, going home would be harder at this point. I would go through culture shock AGAIN when returning here and that--I do not desire!

    I'd rather keep my feelings inside right now, than have to burst into tears more upon leaving "home" again in such a short time. I am confident that you --having been here so long-- won't and don't go through these feelings much now. You might have a harder time leaving here than leaving home?
    Enjoy the states!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do think it is hard for both adults and children to go back and forth often, especially in the first year. Aside from culture shock, I think that it makes sense for any work/ministry that you are physically there as often as possible.

    I know that in the past there were missionaries who very rarely went on furlough; on the other hand the apostle Paul certainly traveled a lot.

    With the exception of small children, anyone who has lived in different places carries those experiences with him. Each time you go somewhere, you are always saying "goodbye" to someone and "hello" to someone else.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...