Thursday, October 9, 2008

Mistaken identity

For those of you who don't know, I have a sister named Emily. We're 6 years apart and don't look that much alike (in our opinion), but people mix up our names sometimes. In school I even had a teacher who gave me a dollar each time she did it, because she felt so guilty!

What I find amusing though is when people who don't know I have a sister call me Emily. Sometimes I respond to Emily even when it's not directed at me (and in Russia I now respond to "Lida" as well as any Russian or English variation of Elizabeth).

Anyway, I applied to an MA program a few years ago and got rejected because I didn't have 1) 2 yrs' "job experience" or 2) a TESOL certificate.

Now I have the certificate, but I don't know if I'm interested in that particular program anymore. However, they apparently remember me. Sort of. Today I received an email with the following introduction:

Hi Emily…



I noticed on your previous application to the MA TESOL, that your end of mission term in Russia is slated for this December 2008. We remember your interest in completing an MA, and we would like to inform you of the options -- now available.



Hmmm. Maybe it's because my email address contains an "M" for my middle name. Recruiters, if you want to woo your applicants, get the name right! :)

3 comments:

  1. I can't believe someone paid you for getting our names mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. me either! what did you spend it on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, your birthday present? Ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...