Friday, August 15, 2008

Generating discussion

We do a lot of writing activities which let our students express themselves. At times it's rather amusing, at times simply eye-opening.

Here was the result of today's lesson on connectives:

"In my opinion, we have to go to free class." ("Free class" is the one we teach; they are our guinea pigs. This girl was trying to get everyone to come!)

"On the one hand, I like American culture. On the other hand, I don't like American food."

"On the one hand, American people live just for themselves. On the other hand, American people have a democratic life."

So there you have it.

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying my Korean students. I was discussing sports with one gentleman and asked what he liked to eat at a soccer game. He said he liked "dried ocean materials". Stuff like that just cracks me up; however I know quite well I sound just like that when I try to speak Russian. I finally figured out (after guessing some sort of seaweed, that it was dried fish he enjoyed at the game.) That wasn't too surprising to me, as my kids love dried fish, themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! And word-for-word it makes sense. It's so interesting how languages work.

    ReplyDelete

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...