Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Into the den of lions...or lambs?

I went to the other orphanage to see my favorite kids. We don’t work much with that orphanage due to some disapproval in the community, but I don’t want to give up on the relationships yet. Instead of calling and trying to figure out which counselor was on duty, I decided to just show up. That way, if it didn’t work out to do English lessons, I could at least see the kids.

Before leaving, I asked a few people to pray. When I arrived, I walked up to the building, feeling slightly fearful. I felt the verse “perfect love drives out fear” being impressed on my heart. I couldn’t remember the context, but I thought about how I loved the kids. It would have to be enough.

I knew that they would probably have a different security guard. I walked in and sure enough, there was an unfamiliar granny sitting at the desk. She quickly sat up when I came in and got ready to inquire about my presence. I decided to approach casually and explain who I was, rather than act defensive. As I began to tell her about my English lessons, one of my girls from camp ran over and hugged me. “She’s ours! She’s already been teaching us for the third year!” (it’s actually the fourth). The guard wanted the counselor to come, but we convinced her to let me go up to the group.

When I got upstairs, I entered the office of the counselor for the younger kids. She almost smiled when I entered. She told me what day was best and said it would be great for the lessons to continue. Then the girl who had greeted me dragged me down the hall to have a lesson. I hadn’t even prepared anything, but we played with flashcards.

Next, I went to the teenage boys. I wasn’t sure if they would be around since they graduated certain levels of school last year. I walked down their hallway and was relieved to see that the friendly counselor from last year was on duty. She greeted me and we went into the living room, where a few boys were watching t.v. They said hello and we chatted for awhile. The counselor asked if they still needed English. They shrugged. “Sure, why not?” She promised to call me and let me know their schedule.

I went downstairs to leave. I paused by the security guard to try once more to connect. “I’ll be coming regularly,” I said. “Okay, I’ll remember you next time,” she said. We talked about the kids and their learning problems as well as abilities. “What’s your name?” I asked. She misunderstood and thought I asked “How are things?” “It’s okay, I haven’t been working here for very long. I’m still getting used to it.” I was glad she misheard me and decided to tell me about herself.

I went home feeling calm, and not at all fearful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just added word verification to reduce spam. Nothing personal!

You’re welcome to leave a link to your own blog here if it's relevant to this blog.

Please make sure that your comments are 1) relevant and 2) respectful (i.e. no cuss words, attacks on individuals).

Voices

 In the past month, it has been interesting to read the published thoughts of Russian friends as they've gotten their voice back upon es...